What Really Matters
Virginia Licensed Home Inspector #3380-000470
Contact: 757-486-8868 (O) 757-328-9916 (C)
WHAT REALLY MATTERS IN A HOME INSPECTIO VIDEO
Buying a home? The process can be stressful. A home inspection is supposed to give you peace of mind, but often has the opposite effect. You will be asked to absorb a lot of information in a short time. This often includes a written report, checklist, photographs, environmental reports and what the inspector himself says during the inspection. All this combined with the seller’s disclosure and what you notice yourself makes the experience even more overwhelming. What should you do?
Relax. Most of your inspection will be maintenance recommendations, life expectancies and minor imperfections. These are nice to know about. However, the issues that really matter will fall into four categories:
- Major defects. An example of this would be a structural failure.
- Things that lead to major defects. A small roof-flashing leak, for example.
- Things that may hinder your ability to finance, legally occupy or insure the home.
- Safety hazards, such as an exposed, live buss bar at the electric panel.
Anything in these categories should be addressed. Often a serious problem can be corrected inexpensively to protect both life and property (especially in categories 2 and 4).
Most sellers are honest and are often surprised to learn of defects uncovered during an inspection. Realize that sellers are under no obligation to repair everything mentioned in the report. No home is perfect. Keep things in perspective. Do not kill your deal over things that do not matter. It is inappropriate to demand that a seller address deferred maintenance, conditions already listed on the seller’s disclosure or nit-picky items.
“A New Home Is A Big Investment,
Please Call Me Before You Buy”
“I Recommend That The Customer Be
Present During The Inspection In Order
To Ask Questions And Receive The
The Maximum Benefit”
READY FOR THE INSPECTION?
* Is Everything Turned On And Accessible?
* Has The Real Estate Agent Been Notified?
* Utilities? (Water, Electric, Gas, Pilot Lights?)
* Access To House? (Notify Occupants, Keys?)
* Pools – Hot Tub Filled With Water? (Heated?)
* Are All Pets Secured Before The Inspection?
* Call Me And I Will Help You Get Ready